Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Fossilized Gastropod with Crystal Druzy

Fossils are fascinating. Whether they are dinosaur bones, ammonites, or some other extinct creature, they fill our imaginations and connect us to an ancient world. A Gastropod is fancy talk for a snail, slug, or mollusk! In fact there are over 15,000 species of gastropod fossils, as old as 500 million years. Fossilized gastropod sounds so much more appealing than fossilized slug... Nonetheless, the fossilized gastropod that I came across was also covered in crystal druzy. It blew my mind that something as icky as a slug could become something as exquisitely beautiful as this druzy fossil that I had come across.

Here is an amazingly informative article all about gastropods. http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Extension/fossils/gastropod.html

So when I first bought this fossil it wasn't drilled. It took me awhile to figure out how I was going to drill it (I'm not much for wire wrapping). Well, I finally figured it out and so I was able to make this pendant necklace.

I kept it simple with 14k gold filled chain and components, a faceted round ruby, and an asymmetrically placed ruby on the chain. I hope you like it!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/199905024/druzy-gastropod-ruby-14k-gold-filled?ref=listing-0













2 comments:

  1. It's lovely! I've often wondered about drilling, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie! There are some great youtube videos. I'll try to post them on my tutorials page. : )

      Delete